Saturday, March 14, 2020

Episode 11 - A Wrench in the Machine


Episode 11 – A Wrench in the Machine

FADE IN: DAY – DC TRAINING CENTER

JOE PALENTI is training March leaders from around the country in civil disobedience techniques. Among those in attendance is LESLIE, his assistant VP of New New York Tent City, and JOHN, his personal bodyguard.

JANET and AMELIA approach JOE PALENTI after he wraps up his lesson. Soon after, KEVIN appears, approaches the group and insists on speaking to JOE PALENTI personally. Kevin is caught off guard seeing Amelia for the first time in years.


JOE
Again – keep in mind that this is a planned legal march and should be peaceful. There should be no need to employ the civil disobedience techniques I have shared today. However if things get a little crazy, we all must stick to our non-violent resistance.

LESLIE
Yes, yes – we have been tireless in our planning and preparedness so this march should go off without a hitch. That being said – it will be the biggest protest march in our country’s history. So we must be ready to apply this civil disobedience training if necessary.

JOE
So if there are no more questions – that’s a wrap for today people. I very much appreciate your participation being volunteer leaders of your communities. We must restore our rights and freedoms and speed up the relocation process with a new President Jones at the helm to get our ship back on course to finish the Green Revolution goals of 100% clean energies and getting completely off of fossil fuels to avert the final arctic poles melt down that could cause even higher sea levels and more flood disasters. Thank you!


The trainees and crowd hoots and hollers affirmations.
JANET and AMELIA approach JOE and JOHN puts his hand up to stop them.

                                JOE
It’s okay John – she (janet) has a screened volunteer badge.

JANET
Mr. Palenti! I uh, um, It’s great to finally meet you! I am a big fan! I have been following you – well not literally but through the news and social media… Um – oh this is my friend Amelia who came along to see what this is all about.

JOE
Nice to meet both of you (shakes hands – has instant attraction to Amelia) Where are you two coming from?

JANET
Actually, not far at all – the DC suburbs. We are new roommates and I told Amelia all about you and the CRD movement and she was curious to check it out.

AMELIA
Yes – I saw you recently on the INN interview – very impressive and today’s demonstration was as well. Do you really believe that a couple million people can resist agitators that may show up to spoil the march?

JOE
Well, that’s the reason I’m here and will be going around to the country’s tent cities for the next couple weeks doing training sessions and reemphasizing the need to stay nonviolent, united and resilient in the face of aggression, which unfortunately may happen. Hopefully, Homeland Security does their job and keeps the bad guys away.

JANET
Yes – I pray it is a total success! I am also doing volunteer work for Senator Jones. She is so cool!

JOE
Yes I agree – she is cool, super smart and has integrity that is in short supply nowadays.

AMELIA
Full transparency – I am somewhat conservative and not totally sold on Senator Jones. Doesn’t taxing the rich to solve all the country’s problems only create dependency and bureaucracy?

JOE
Well, I don’t like bureaucracy anymore than anyone else but because of the human tendency toward greed and hoarding wealth, the 1% need to pay their fair share of taxes, which they did for decades during the Green Revolution, and that was the most prosperous, equitable era in our country since after World War II.

AMELIA
That may be true for the middle class but many rich people went broke and never recovered. It was a huge loss of industries and wealth for the country.

JOE
There are always winners and losers whenever a nation decides to make big changes. The absolutely necessary changes that were made during the Green era held off the worst outcomes of Global Warming for decades until the last few years with this administration turning back the clock on all the progress made. These policies of deregulating fossil fuels use pushed Mother Nature over the edge and now millions of us around the world are living in over crowded tent cities, or worse – engaging in barbaric civil wars, as what is happening in many of the poor countries.

JANET
(uncomfortable) I, I agree with you Mr. Palenti and we just wanted to meet you and say hello and show our support and so…

JOE
It’s fine, uh Janet? I came to DC ready to debate the issues – that’s what our capital is all about – right? I appreciate Amelia’s honesty. I spend too much time preaching to the choir and need to reach out more and discuss the issues with those who have other perspectives. We must embrace a civil dialog regardless of party affiliation, cultural and class differences’ if we are to ever come together again as a nation. Building consensus through communication and democracy is our only hope.

AMELIA
I can agree with that Mr. Palenti. I wonder…

There is a skirmish nearby between JOHN the bodyguard and KEVIN RALPHS who is insisting on speaking to JOE personally. Initially – KEVIN does not recognize or notice AMELIA because he is so intent on seeing JOE.

KEVIN (yelling from a distance)
Mr. Palenti – Mr. Palenti – I need to speak to you! My name is Kevin Ralphs – I work for the president and have the ID to prove it!

JOE moves toward the commotion while JOHN checks his ID credentials – that seem authentic. JOE looks at them as well and decides to let him through to speak.

JOE
So what’s up Kevin? Why all the drama? You could have just called us and I would have been okay to meet up.

KEVIN
No - too risky for my career trajectory. I am here to alert you to some pertinent information that concerns you and the CRD march.

JOE
Does this involve the president?

KEVIN
Not really – but he is associated with the guy who wants to bring you down - literally and stop this march in its tracks!

JOE
Is it this the same entity that has been behind the social media character assassination campaign?

KEVIN
Yes – and (notices Amelia who is staring at him in the distance) – A-A-Amelia?

JOE
You know her?

KEVIN
Yes – I used to work for her father a few years ago. How do you know her?

JOE
I don’t really – I just met her and her roommate. So why are you here Kevin?

KEVIN
Yes, (lost in thought) so anyway, the guy plotting against you is Charles White…

AMELIA starts to walk toward them.

JOE
Who’s that?

KEVIN
Charles White, the Petrol King.

JOE
Oh - that makes sense. Hmmm…

AMELIA walks up Not hearing what they had just said.

AMELIA
Kevin? What are you doing here – what’s all the commotion about? Don’t you work for the president now?

KEVIN
Yes I do and I had some information about the march that was important for Mr. Palenti to hear. What are you doing here? Are you part of the CRD movement?

AMELIA
Um-No – I just came to check it out with my new roommate Janet who is an enthusiastic volunteer. What’s so important you had to just show up all of a sudden - if you don’t mind me asking?

JOE
It seems a powerful, rich tycoon has been sabotaging me and the CRD march behind the scenes and may even try to cause me physical harm.

AMELIA
That’s not good – are you allowed to say who it is?

KEVIN
No – that’s why I had to speak to Mr. Palenti directly. I am not even supposed to be here. And the president has nothing to do with this just so you know.

JOE
Well I appreciate you coming by and sharing this important information with me Mr. Ralphs. I will have my people look into it.

LESLIE approaches concerned. Shoots AMELIA a jealous and protective look - as she noticed their flirting earlier.

LESLIE
Something wrong Joe?

JOE
Maybe – I will tell you later. Well, it was interesting meeting you Kevin. Thanks again for coming by. I really need to get back to my work. Nice to meet you too Amelia – say goodbye to Janet for me. Take care now.

AMELIA
It was nice to meet you as well – here – take my card. If you ever find yourself in a legal bind – I will help out pro bo-no. Though I don’t totally agree with all your politics – I think you are a good person, who is a proven patriot that loves his country. Goodbye Mr. Palenti.

JOE
Thank you Amelia – (looks at card – and sees her last name and quickly connects the dots) White.

KEVIN
(nods to affirm his hunch)
Take care Mr. Palenti. I really respect your service to our country.

JOE walks off with LESLIE and they start to speak to each other. JANET approaches AMELIA and KEVIN.

JANET
What happened – it seems like Mr. Palenti was upset – who are you (looking at Kevin) – do you two know each other?

AMELIA
This Kevin Ralphs – who actually works for the president, and came here to inform Mr. Palenti about some important information regarding the march. And yes we know each other because he actually used to work for my father. Mr. Palenti told me to say goodbye and that it was nice meeting you.

JANET
Oh – wow. That’s weird. Nothing bad I hope. It would have been nice to able to say goodbye in person. Oh well – C’est la vie. (noticeably upset) I will see you back at the apartment Amelia – you two probably have some catching up to do.

JANET walks off quickly – annoyed and disturbed by the whole scene.

AMELIA
Hey Janet! Wait! Wow – she was upset. She has a fantasy thing for Mr. Palenti. Anyway – how have you been Kevin? I have not seen you since…

KEVIN
Since the Inaugural gala, almost four years ago.

AMELIA
Wow – time flies. I remember because you had just resigned from working for my Dad the week before. He was pretty sore about it. Then he hired Trevor as you may or may not know.

KEVIN
Yes – I know all about it. I actually ran into him recently at the bar he frequents in town. He was drunk and belligerent as usual. But he was excited about working for your Dad and all his big future plans.

AMELIA
Yes – he worships my Dad and did mention some plans of his own, but I think it will be a while before he leaves the corporation nest. What’s wrong – you seem agitated – something to do with Mr. Palenti and the march?

KEVIN
A little bit of everything I guess. I’m kind of tired. Been working 12-hour days lately since it’s election season – and there is some disturbing machinations going on against Mr. Palenti that I feel are not warranted or even legal. But mostly because… (pregnant pause)

AMELIA
Because of? Come on Kevin – what is it? We always talked straight in the past. It’s part of the reason I like and respect you and also that you’re pretty smart.

KEVIN
Like and respect? Wow – that’s rich. What about Trevor – do you like and respect him?

AMELIA
Not really – wait – what did he tell you?

KEVIN
He told me you two had an affair – is it true?

AMELIA
Not that it’s any of your business but unfortunately – yes, we did mess around a couple of times. I regret it and I told him no more and that it was a mistake - because it was!

KEVIN
Unreal – I asked you out several times and you rejected me over and over and then you go sleep with Trevor? Geez!

AMELIA
If you must know, I blew you off because I knew we had some chemistry and I could tell you liked me but my Dad forbid it because he never felt like you were loyal to him and I was busy with school anyway. Trevor was a fling because I knew I had no real feelings for him and my Dad did not forbid it. Look – I don’t why I am explaining all this to you – after all it’s been four years!

KEVIN
No, no, you’re right. It’s none of my business. I did like you and I still do – want to go out to dinner with me? My treat – I heard you may be tight on resources based on a fall out with your Dad.

AMELIA
Big mouth Trevor. Yes – I declared my independence because I have no desire to take over the family business. There’s too much sketchy karma going on. I am now experiencing how normal people live.

KEVIN
Oh yeah? How’s that working for you?

AMELIA
So far - so good. I got a job here at a small firm in DC after I passed the bar and now, I have a nice room and roommate in a decent little apartment in the suburb. I had an epiphany in college after taking some anthropology and sociology courses. I also read some Eastern philosophy and started doing Yoga.

KEVIN
Philosophy was my minor, both Western and Eastern. So who in particular?

AMELIA
I like Taoism but could definitely relate to Buddha.

KEVIN
Yeah - How so?

AMELIA
I relate to how he had his own epiphany once he got outside his palace and saw all the common folk and their sufferings. I came to the same conclusion that I have grown up in an elite bubble and have no clue what it’s like for the average person living in the world. So now I am learning the real deal.

KEVIN
Well, good for you Amelia. You know about my humble roots. I think rich people who inherit their wealth should do what you’re doing, even if it’s an anthropological study. Actually, it should be a legal requirement of the super wealthy. As a result, many of the class issues that persist would likely get fixed by the 1%. They would acquire some understanding of what it’s like for the middle class majority that live paycheck to paycheck.

AMELIA
Yes and yes Mr. Ralphs.

KEVIN
Yes you agree and yes you will have dinner with me?

AMELIA
Yes.

KEVIN
Yes is good - so this Friday, 8PM at Prizi’s?

AMELIA
Yes – that works for me – I’ll see you there.

KEVIN
Great! – See you then. Call me if anything changes.

KEVIN gives AMELIA his card and walks off toward his government town car waiting for him.


FADE OUT:

No comments:

Post a Comment